It's that time of year, again! Do you know a small business owner or champion
that deserves recognition? National Small Business Week will be observed May
15 – 21, 2011.
The SBA is requesting nominations for 2010 Tennessee Small Business Person
of the Year and Small Business Champion Awards. This is your chance to honor
small business owners and small business champions in your own back yard!
Complete nominations packages must be postmarked by Friday, November 12,
Steps to submitting a nomination package:
1. VISIT www.sba.gov/tn look under SPOTLIGHT and click on 2011 TN Small
Business Award Guidelines. For your convenience SBA Forms are included at
the end of the document. The complete national guidelines publication is also
2. REVIEW the list of awards, criteria and what the package needs to contain.
3. PRINT out the page with Award criteria and package requirements for each
award you are considering. (Small Business Person is two pages)
4. Don't forget to review the TEN TIPS FOR WRITING WINNING NOMINATION
PACKAGES to help create a nomination package that stands out. Feel free to
call or e-mail if you have questions.
TEN TIPS FOR WRITING WINNING NOMINATION PACKAGES
1. Use the rating criteria as an outline for organizing your nomination and use
headings to transition from one rating criteria to the next. Doing so enables
judges, who have limited time to review each nomination, to quickly evaluate
the nomination. It will also reduce the chance that critical information will be
overlooked. Be aware, judges may not go searching for information that is out
2. Speak directly to each rating criteria. Failing to respond to any one of the
rating criteria could prevent an otherwise outstanding nominee from being
selected. And have someone else proof read your nomination - grammatical
errors and misspelled words detract from the quality of the nomination.
3. Keep your narrative to a minimum. Critical facts about your nominee's
successes can easily get lost in unnecessary verbiage. However, include all
information necessary to highlight the nominee's accomplishments in simple
language and explain technical terms in a manner the non-expert will
4. Include all information required for the award category. Nominations may be
disqualified if nominators fail to submit all information required for that
particular award. When in doubt, contact your local district office for direction.
5. Include a high resolution, 300 DPI, color headshot and five or six candid
action shots showing the nominee(s) with their employees, customers or
engaged in work or community activities and /or electronic 300 dpi photos of
the same on CD. Xeroxed copies are not acceptable.
6. Be aware that judges will only be reviewing black and white duplicate copies
of the material you submit. Content is more important than a decorative
7. Fully disclose any and all SBA assistance a nominee has received, including
SBA loans, procurement assistance, or assistance from SCORE, SBTDC,
Women's Business Center, or direct counseling/assistance from an SBA district
8. Businesses and individuals with compelling stories are often seen very
favorably by judges; look for a factual, yet engaging angle to present your
9. Letters in support of nominations are an excellent way to highlight individual
or business accomplishments, but seek letters from individuals having firsthand
knowledge of these accomplishments and ask that the letters site specific
examples of the nominee's successes and contributions.
10. Use underlines to bring attention to important facts in your supporting
documents - such as letters of support and news clippings. Don't use
highlights; doing so may turn out to mask the words when duplicates are
made. Nomination packages must be received at the Tennessee District Office
in Nashville on or before Friday, November 12, 2010.
To find nomination guidelines and information for these and other awards visit
the SBA Tennessee web site: www.sba.gov/tn. Look under SPOTLIGHT.
Contact David Tiller (615) 736-7176 or Sherrie Burns (615) 736-7766 for more
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> To UNSUBSCRIBE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
To unsubscribe from the list, send an email to LISTSERV@NEWGANGES.SBA.GOV
The body of the message should read SIGNOFF TLNEWSLETTER
A subject is not required.